Repost from Super Cool Creative
By David Murdico
Social media marketing videos are everywhere – ads, promos, lifestyle – so you need to make your videos stand out. Here’s are 5 quick ways to help you do it.
1. ESTABLISH VIDEO MARKETING GOALS
- Attract attention
- Increase awareness of and interest in your products or services
- Increase engagement, social media, blog, publication and influencer mentions
- Help drive sales!
2. DEFINE YOUR AUDIENCE
To make effective marketing videos you have to know your target audience – what they like and what they share.
- Who buys your products or services?
- Create “buyer personas” to circle in on the things they like.
- What video styles flip their switches – straightforward, edgy, funny, long, short…
- Where do they spend most of their time online?
3. ESTABLISH WHAT TYPES OF VIDEOS YOU’RE MAKING
Factors like budget, goals, resources and the tastes of your target audience help determine what types of videos you’ll produce.
- Social Media Videos – quick Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat videos – mobile and desktop compatible – multiple formats – less sales information or the information is buried in the creative – typically lower cost per video
- Video ads / web commercials – more information is typically included so it feels like an ad – a more direct CTA – can be high budget, low budget, medium budget
- Video Promos / Game Trailers – announce a new game, product or service – new features, events
- How-to and Explainer Videos – usually animated / motion graphics – designed for mobile and desktop
4. DEVELOP YOUR VIDEO CREATIVE IDEAS
The right video ideas combine the tastes of your target audience, the types of videos your making, your budget and the amount of information you need to convey.
- What do your buyers find interesting, informative, entertaining?
- Match the creative to the production value – this will help you think in terms of videos that can be shot on an iPhone or webcam as well as videos that require a professional crew.
- Try to make your video ideas entertaining, informative and engaging – people will remember a video that inspires them, enlightens them and leaves them with a takeaway
- If appropriate, try to make them funny if you can – funny gets shared like crazy
5. INCLUDE A STRONG CALL TO ACTION
What do you want viewers to do after they’ve watched your videos – buy now, buy later, click, watch more, share, learn more, visit, sign up, subscribe or just be aware that your product or service, organization or movement exists?
- If you don’t tell viewers what to do, they won’t do anything you want them to do
- For soft goals like “awareness” include soft CTAs like “share” or “subscribe”
- For hard goals like “sales” include hard CTAs like “buy now” or “click here”
- Try not to include more than 2 CTAs – viewers won’t do more than that for you
6. PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE
- Share on the social media channels they use most – Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, SnapChat, blogs, publications…
- Include paid promotion – integrate video ads, promoted posts
- Get media attention – pitch the blogs, publications and influencers that appeal to your target audience – get them to feature or at least share your videos
- Track your analytics to see which approaches are working best for each video!